plendefrruesjp

6. Lake Włocławskie.

Lake Włocławskie, a man-made water body near Włocławek on the Vistula has the surface area of 75 sq km, the average width of 2.5km and the length of 58km. The dam and the hydroelectric power station completed in 1970 serve as a road bridge. A cross near the dam commemorates the martyrdom of Jerzy Popiełuszko, the chaplain of the Solidarity trade union, murdered by officers of Security Service in October 1984.Nature values.  Around 20 bird species spend winter in vicinity of Lake Włocławskie. The riparian forests provide safe nesting places for the hairy-tailed buzzard and the white-tailed eagle, the rushes provide the habitat for the Common Goldeneye, the merganser, the gull, the swan, the mallard. Diverse flora and fauna is protected in the Brudzeń Landscape Park located at the confluence of the Skrwa and the Vistula. Near the village of Kulin a strict nature reserve Kulin was established for the protection of steppe, ecotone, thicket and forest plant communities. Dictamnus population is particularly interesting. Referred to as white dittany or false dittany, this perennial plant in the family of Rutaceae grows one metre high. Both its big  pink flowers (approx. 5cm in diameter) gathered in clusters and its stems are covered with black glands secreting essential oils in June. In hot and dry air the highly flammable oils can ignite, hence the name 'burning bush'.Cultural values. Góra Zamkowa (Castle Hill) in Dobrzyń nad Wisłą, formerly the site of the castle -  the castellan's seat,  offers an excellent view over the Lake. The town, known already in 1065, gave name to the entire province of the Piast Poland. The Swedish invasion in the 17th c. and the subsequent historical events caused irreversible damage to the stronghold.Dobrzyń. Settled before 1239 at the foot of the hill Dobrzyń, one of the oldest Polish towns,  assumed prominence when it was a stop on the Vistula trade route. In 1519 King Zygmunt Stary (Sigismund I the Old) restored the town privileges and the town enjoyed prominence  until he mid-17th c. Seven churches raised in the town in the period of prosperity can still be seen today. The Franciscan  monastery complex raised between 1279-1316 and repeatedly devastated by fires was reconstructed later.Its Gothic provenience can still be seen in the walls of the presbytery. The neo-Romanesque facade evokes the building's former splendor and power. The highlights of the interior include a Baroque crucifix, a marble epitaph of Damazy Mioduski (1739 – 1806), commander of the cavalry, and a pipe organ commissioned in 1899 in the local workshop of Dominik Biernacki. The Dobrzyń Museum features historical artifacts and ethnographic exhibits depicting the folk culture of the region.Sports values. In Murzynowo, Dobrzyń nad Wisłą and Zarzeczewo you will find well-managed marinas and water sports rentals, which offer windsurfing equipment, kayaks, water bicycles, rowing boats and sailboats. The All-Polish Youth Sailing Competitions attract crowds of tourists every year. The Mayor's Cup Angling Tournament in August (organised by the Dobrzyń division of the Polish Angling Association) is yet another major sporting event.

Go to the photo gallery