plendefrruesjp

5. Carmelite Baroque monasteries.

Picturesquely located on hills, two Carmelite Baroque monastery complexes in the Dobrzyń Land are a real delight to visitors. The older structure in Obory was founded by the village owners Anna and Łukasz Rudzowski, a childless couple, who established a votive foundation. In 1605 they founded a wooden church and a building with monks rooms at the foot of the Grodzisko hill. They invited Carmelites from the Bydgoszcz Monastery and  gave them half of the property belonging to Obory, obliging them to build brick buildings in return.  The Carmelites brought a 15th -century Gothic limewood statue of Our Lady of Sorrows (Pieta), which has been worshipped for years. In 1626 fire destroyed the wooden building; the brick one, started in 1641 was constructed in stages in 1642, 1694, 1746-1753. The delay was caused by wars, epidemics and property conflicts. In 1740 Juliusz Dziewanowski from Płonne founded a chapel as a votive offering  for having his son saved, to which the tower (45m high) was added between 1748-1749. During the wars of the 17th and 18th centuries the church and the monastery were repeatedly looted and demolished. After 1844 the tzarist authorities interned  the monks and priests for preaching patriotic sermons and offering help to the insurgents. During the World War II the Nazis established here a transit camp for priests. The Pieta was saved by one of the monks, who initially hid it in the  church catacombs, but moved it to the neighbouring village some time later. The highlights of the sumptuous church interior include the Baroque main altar (1696), the Rococo organ and the stalls (the 18th c.) alongside the epitaphs of the Dobrzyń landowners of the Borzewski, Dziewanowski, Mioduski, Nałęcz, Piwnicki, and Rzeszotarski families. On the Grodzisko hill, today referred to as Kalwaria (Calvary) stretches a cemetery with the 18th-century catacombs. Fifteen sculptures, symbolising the Stations of the Cross, are the obvious attraction of  the park surrounding the monastery. Go to the photo gallery

The monastery complex in Trutowo was established later as the  foundation of Jan Rętwiński, whose portrait can be seen in the nave. The church, raised between 1725-1738, received a tower in 1753; the monastery was completed after 1740. Built as an extension of the church,  the monastery lacks the facade. The complex structure, whose central tower is topped with a bell cupola, constitutes a prominent landmark on the hill. The nave features splendid Rococo altars, benches with kneelers, and feretrums. The sacristy is filled with numerous paintings and sculptures. The beautifully carved, boat-shaped pulpit from the latter half of the 18th c. is the most striking element of the interior. The pulpit's artistic value is enhanced by scenes from the history of the Carmelite order painted on its parapet. The serene atmosphere of the interior is owed to the late-Baroque polychromy (originally from 1738, renovated in 1960), showing saint Carmelite monks and scenes from the history of the order. The vault of the nave is decorated with four Evangelists and four Fathers of the Church. The walls are covered with paintings depicting seven saints. Our Lady of Good Care is painted over the choir. On the vault of the presbytery there is a polychrome showing prophet Elijah fleeing from queen Jesabel and the Column of Our Lady of the Scapular. Numerous putti painted between solemn religious scenes add to the charm of the interior.

Go to the photo gallery